Learn to Surf at Alexandra Headland
Learn to surf in the gentle waves off the beach a Alexandra Headland with an experienced surf school.
Robbie Sherwell’s XL Surfing Academy touts themselves as the leading surf school and high performance training provider on the Sunshine Coast. The highly experienced and professional coaches at XL provide training and instruction for surfers, and surfers-to-be, of all skill levels and experience.
All ages are welcome, from 5 year olds to grandparents. XL will tailor sessions to best suit you. The first lesson gives newbies a complete introduction to the amazing world of surfing where you learn to paddle, catch and ride white water or small green waves, assisted by Surfing Australia qualified coaches.
XL offer individual or group lessons, or join in on a weekly session. Also check out their holiday intensive programs where students of all ages from first-timers to intermediates and elite will have the opportunity to take part in the 3 or 5 day programs. Focusing on strength, confidence, skill and technique.
The lessons are undertaken at either Alexandra Headland Beach or Mooloolaba Beach. XL inform you prior to your lesson where they will be located.
There is nothing like the rush of standing up for the first time on a surf board! To learn more or to book lessons visit XL Surfing Academy.
Book your next Sunshine Coast Holiday in Alexandra Headland 50 metres from the beach and the Alexander Headland Surf Club. The Mirage Alexandra Headland offer large one, two or three bedroom apartments in a resort-style complex with excellent facilities. BOOK NOW
An absolute must do when staying on the Sunshine Coast is spending a day at Australia Zoo. The Home of the Crocodile Hunter, the late Steve Irwin, offers the best animal encounters and live animal shows.
Steve and Terri Irwin’s vision to make Australia Zoo the biggest and best wildlife conservation facility in the entire world, has come to fruition. Where else in the world can you take a walk on the wild side with a majestic tiger, cuddle a koala, hand-feed a rascally red panda or have a cheeky cheetah snapshot?
Checkout Australia Zoo’s animal encounter experiences and exhibits such as the African Safari Park, The Crocoseum, Tiger Temple and Elephantasia. Enjoy live wildlife shows in the Crocoseum with tortoises, otters, koalas, crocs, birds of prey and the amazing Australia Zoo Wildlife Warriors.
Hand-feed the gorgeous Red Kangaroos and Grey Kangaroos as they roam around their open-range enclosure or the beautiful baby animals at Kids’ Zoo.
Explore the tropical paradise of Bindi’s Island where you’ll find Bindi’s incredible three-storey treehouse. Complete with an authentic shipwreck entrance, Bindi’s Island will transport you to your ultimate wildlife haven, with cheeky ring-tailed lemurs on display and roaming free amongst guests!
Australia Zoo is situated on Steve Irwin Way in Beerwah and is approximately 30 minutes from Alexandra Headland.
For tickets and further information head to The Mirage Experience Oz Page.
Book your next Sunshine Coast Holiday at Alexandra Headland’s The Mirage Resort. BOOK NOW
Take a Drive to Noosa
If you’re looking for something to do that will keep you occupied for most of the day, why not take a drive to Noosa during your stay with us?
Noosa Heads, or just Noosa for short, is located just under 50 kilometres away, and is an easy drive northwards on the Sunshine Coast Motorway. Sometimes referred to as the French Riviera of the Sunshine Coast, Noosa Heads and the elegant Hastings Street, is where you will find all the beautiful people sipping on their lattes at trendy cafes and shopping at designer fashion boutiques.
But the allure of Noosa is not just this, as it combines all the finer things in life with stunning beaches offset by the natural beauty of Noosa National Park, all in one compact area you can explore by foot.
Noosa Main Beach, one of the only north-facing beaches on the east coast of Australia has gentle waves which are favoured by families and those learning to surf. Its soft white sand is dotted with beach walkers and sun worshippers all year round.
Noosa Spit is also another popular beach that is a designated off-leash beach for dogs but is a popular safe beach for families.
The Noosa National Park Beaches also have several beautiful unspolit beaches in the headland section of the Noosa National Park, including Alexandria Bay.
Noosa National Park
One of the most popular things to do in Noosa is a walk through Noosa’s National Park. With its abundance of wildlife and secluded beaches, is only ten minutes walk from Hastings Street, where you can explore 15 kilometres of walking tracks of all grades from easy walking to medium level sandy tracks.
As you walk around the headland there are magnificent views over Boiling Point, Tea Tree Bay, Dolphin Point, Winch Cove and then to the point aptly named Hells Gates because of its steep cliffs and deep crevasse. From Hells Gates you get magic views of Alexandria Bay which is a remote and stunning beach.
Hastings Street, everyones favourite shopping and people-watching street, is a hub of activity day and night with resort-style fashion boutiques, art galleries and gift shops. Diners relish in the cuisine and cocktails of exclusive restaurants and bars that line the street. Otherwise you can enjoy a cold beverage and a good value-for-money meal at the Noosa Heads Surf Club that sits on Main Beach with views to die for.
For a change of pace from the beach, you can take a short drive or jump on the Noosa River Ferry and experience the Noosa River. The sandy banks of the river are a safe place for swimming but also offers endless water activities like jet skiing, sailing, kayaking, standup paddle boarding, boating and fishing.
If you venture further up the Noosa River, it extends into a series of lakes to the Noosa Everglades that is best experienced by canoe, kayak or river cruise.
Enjoy all Noosa has to offer and return to the comfort of our luxury four and a half star resort at The Mirage Alexandra Headland. With a choice of one, two or three bedroom spacious holiday apartments on the Sunshine Coast and all the comforts of home. BOOK NOW
Lake Nelson Park
Located opposite the The Mirage Alexandra Headland the picturesque Lake Nelson Park, is home to many water birds, including some elegant swans. Come at the right time of year and watch the baby cygnets or maybe some ducklings with their parents.
Also keep an eye out for honeyeaters and rainbow lorikeets in the flowering shrubs and trees, as well as kingfishers, egrets and herons down by the water.
Make use of the great facilities including the parks BBQs, playground, picnic tables and shelters while you enjoy the views of the magnificent swan sculptures and the local waterway. The playground in this park is fenced and is currently scheduled for an overhaul to improve the play space.
Siting on the small island in the middle of the lake is the beautiful ‘Sisters by Choice’ bronze sculptures. It’s a unique capture of a black swan, an emblem of the Maroochydore area, and the egret, the emblem of Xiamen, the Sunshine Coast’s Sister City in China, taking off in flight together to symbolise the sister city relationship and co-operation.
Nelson Park is a lovely little green oasis in the middle of the Sunshine Coast. If you get sick of the beach it’s the best place to take a stroll, a quiet place to have a picnic or just a great place to let the kids burn off a bit of energy.
Sunshine Coast Whale Watching
A once in a lifetime experience! Witness the legendary Humpback and Southern Right whales up close and personal on a Sunshine Coast Whale Watching Cruise.
Join the friendly crew of one of the Sunny Coast’s best cruise operators for a whale watching experience departing from Mooloolaba. The cruise is over 3 hours duration, where you’ll embark on a whale watching tour that is jam-packed with spectacular scenery, up-close whale encounters and a delicious morning tea.
Jump aboard a luxurious vessel that takes guests on an exclusive whale watching tour with limited numbers to ensure you get the best possible views of the whales from the spacious decks. The cruise departs at a range of times daily between July and October.
You’re guaranteed a 100% whale sighting or money back guarantee! Take in the sights of the Sunshine Coast from the water and see the whales in a single tour. BOOK yourself a whale watching cruise online today with Experience Oz.
Prices start from $59 Adults and $39 Children.
Visit the Sunshine Coast for fantastic Whale Watching and stay with us at The Mirage Alexandra Headland. The Mirage offers stunning views with all balconies east-facing with views of our beautiful pool and gardens, the lagoon and park and/or ocean. BOOK NOW
10 Family Friendly Things to do Near Alexandra Headland
Your Sunshine Coast holiday can be the perfect time to bond together as a family and get out and about and explore this wonderful region. There are so many beaches to explore along the long stretch of coastline from Caloundra in the south to Noosa in the north. But apart from this there are many other activities that you can enjoy. Here are 10 family friendly things to do near Alexandra Headland:
- Walk or cycle the coastal path along the beachfront from Alexandra Headland to Mooloolaba or Maroochydore. Take your time and take in the breathtaking coastal views and maybe you might catch site of a breeching whale (during whale season May to September). Also look for other marine creatures such as dolphins, turtles and seabirds.
- Check out the viewing platform and memorial to the ship and crew of the HMAS Brisbane perched atop Alexandra Headland. The memorial with majestic views overlooking Alexandra Headland and Mooloolaba beach, points to the ship’s final resting place offshore.
- Explore the rock pools at Alexandra Headland beach or Mooloolaba beach. These rock pools are great to explore (with or without a bucket) at low tide. The pools have sea weeds and algae, limpets, anemones and a seemingly infinite variety of hermit crabs.
- Get active at the Bli Bli Aqua Park for as little as $20 for one session. The park consists of a series of inflatable slides, runways, blast bags and bouncers all connected together and floating in a large sectioned off area of the back lake. Bli Bli Aqua Park is located within the Bli Bli Watersports Complex at 367 David Low Way, Bli Bli, only 13km from Alexandra Headland.
- Hit the lanes of Suncity Tenpin Bowling where all the family can test their skills with the bowling ball and maybe score a strike. They provides all the equipment including the balls and shoes, you just need to bring yourself and socks. Suncity is located nearby at 8 Mari Street, Alexandra Headland. A great wet weather activity!
- Go underwater at Sea Life Mooloolaba, Queensland’s largest aquarium and oceanarium with one of the hugest and most diverse arrays of marine life – both above and under the water – on display in Australia! You can book your tickets with us here at Experience Oz. This is a must do when visiting the Sunshine Coast.
- Scale Point Cartwright. The high cliffs feature a lighthouse at the top of the coastal headland and provide spectacular views of the Sunshine Coast strip. It’s often possible to spot migratory humpback whales and turtles as well as ships entering and leaving the Port of Brisbane with the views to the east. The grassy slopes provide and excellent location for a family picnic. Access is via a track located at the base of the headland at the northern end of Kawana Beach.
- Learn how to surf the waves of Alexandra Headland beach. XL Surfing Academy is one of the leading surf schools on the Sunshine Coast and can provide lessons for beginners through to advanced surfers. They also offer great school holiday programs. They’re based at Alexandra Headland Beach or Mooloolaba Beach.
- Drop a line in at Maroochy River. Try near the mouth of the river at Pincushion Island, which makes up the northern bank of the river. This is a great place for land-based anglers, as bait fish are brought in on the tide and predators tend to follow. Maroochy River is less than 3 kms away from Alexandra Headland.
- Experience the excitement and thrill of an ocean jet ride with Mooloolaba Jet Ride. Strap yourself in for a fun, high speed ride across the open ocean of the Sunshine Coast on a 1 hour jet boating experience in a fully enclosed vessel. Departing from Mooloolaba daily (weather permitting). Make a booking here with Experience Oz
Mount Coolum Walk
You don’t need to head for the hills into the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for a challenging uphill walk. There’s one right here near the coast at Mount Coolum. If you enjoy a challenging walk with spectacular views, then the Mount Coolum summit walk is a must do whilst you are visiting the Sunshine Coast.
Geographically Mount Coolum is an isolated volcanic dome, 208 metres in height and roughly circular in outline. The 1.6 km return walk to the summit involves a lot of steep rocky stairs and is categorized as a class 4 walk, suitable for fit walkers only. The last part of the walk is a rock scramble to the summit.
It goes without saying that the view from the summit is truly magnificent; a 360 degree overview of the Sunshine Coast, Point Cartwright and the Glass House Mountains to the south, the Blackall Range to the west, and Noosa Heads to the north.
Mount Coolum is located on David Low Way 6 km south of Coolum Beach township or 3 km north of Marcoola township and 19 km from Alexandra Headland.